SANE (Surfers Appreciating Natural Environment) seeks to protect and restore the reserves natural beauty and that of the surrounding bushland of the iconic Bells Beach.
Unfortunately 50 years of visitors to the Bells area has taken its toll, damaging eco-systems and degrading the land base significantly. Since 1988 when SANE formed, their focus has been to reverse this destructive trend. As a result SANE has:
- Re-planted indigenous species
- Removed introduced plants / weeds
- Assisted with fencing and track management and design
- Held regular monthly working bees
- Initiated interpretation projects to inform and encourage positive behaviour from people using the reserve
- Active in an advocacy role with community, local, state and federal government.
SANE has received multiple coastal small grants managed through the Corangamite CMA funded by the Australian Government National Landcare Programme to undertake on ground work at Bells Beach, and community engagement initiatives such as Nature Search (scnaturesearch.com.au/).